Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Reader's Mail: Should I Have SEX With My Boss?

Happy people, I don't know how many of you know this but you can actually talk to Happy Umana about anything that you need to get off your chest by emailing me. Here is my first reader's mail and I have decided to conceal her identity for privacy reasons. Please read and share your suggestions with her because love should be shared. Remain happy. xoxo. My response is also included below. Enjoy!!
Dear Happy,
I am a regular reader of your blog and I really like the good job you are doing. I enjoy your post on life issues too. Please I have an issue that is bothering me and would love your suggestion and that of your readers too.
I recently got a job with a prestigious company and the salary is manageable.

I have been suffering from sexual harassment since my first day at the company. It feels like he hired me mainly for this purpose and this depresses me. I dread going to the office every day because of this issue and it is causing me a lot of emotional pain. The worst part is that he is married to a very beautiful woman and I am wondering why he is not content with that and still wants me.
Getting this job wasn't easy for me. I completed my degree and had to sit at home for about five years before I finally got this job but my boss’ demand is making me miserable. He started by insinuating sex between us and then finally decided to declare it openly last week. He has promised to buy me a car and a new house and even promote me if only I accept to sleep with him for only one night. I have said ‘no’ a couple of times but he doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word. A car, promotion and a house all sound really enticing but I am not that type of lady. I believe in earning things and I have always worked hard for everything that I have.
Hypothetically speaking, if I accept to sleep with him, what is the guarantee that he will fulfill his promise? Secondly, how do I know that he will not want it again after the one time? I have threatened him with telling his wife a few times and this doesn't work either. The only option that I have seems to be quitting the job but I know how long it took me to get this job. So quitting isn't an easy option too. I really don’t know what to do about my situation and will appreciate your suggestions. Thanks.

Happy Umana's Reply

Dear reader,
I understand your situation perfectly. It saddens me that such things still exist in Nigeria and nothing is done about it. Sleeping with your boss is never an option. The car, promotion and house are all false promises and even though they were true, it's really not worth it. Like you said, you like to earn things and I admire that in you so I would suggest you keep your head high and quit the job because something better will definitely come. Quitting simply means knowing your worth and not tolerating disrespect. I wish you all the best and remain happy. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are several things to consider. If you can knack your boyfriend for free, why not knack your boss afterall you stayed at home for 5years. Unemployment market is full o. On the other hand, are there other girls there? If it is something he does with other babes then prepare your mind to be one of the conquered territories if u sleep with him. Another question, is he your type of man? Is he single? If so why not knack am? All those madam minister you see in Abuja, do you think it is just their C.V speaking. If it clashes with your faith, don't do it cos you will question yourself. Also doing it might make you question your ability later in life and wonder if you truly deserve all you earned. At the end of the day I have only played the devil's advocate. You still have to make a choice for you. Truth is sleeping with a boss has its plus and minuses. Remember we all want life to be black and white but life is not, sometimes your path is just hard and rough and you have to take it. Selah- Newyorker

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, if you sleep with him you ve entered one chance! He isn't gono fulfil any promise. I will suggest you tell his wife and quit the job.

Anonymous said...

If after 5years u were able to find these job simply means even if u resign or he dismisses u cos u deny him sex simply means u wil find a better job. I used d word better job cos God wil wanna reward u for shuning ur boss tempting offer which many girls wil jump@.mysister u got ur dignity n ur degree,bone him.moreso sleeping with ur boss inorder to retain ur job,redeployed to a better departmt,or getting promotion isnt d reason y u went to d higher institutiion. U r worth more than dat.ifeaylHenx