Monday, July 14, 2014

Be Inspired: Thank God University Education Has NO Age Limit

Good morning happy people, I hope your Monday is fine. I have decided to share a story that I haven't shared in a while with you today because of the young lady I encountered over the weekend who told me she believed she was too old to go back to university and she is only 25 years old. If you share her sentiments, I hope this post inspires you to have a rethink. Enjoy! 

I remember how anxious I was about going to university. The university campus almost became my second home because I was there all the time to check the status of my admission.


Waiting for the list to be published nearly gave me a high blood pressure at only sixteen. Finally the admission list was out and my anxiety increased. There was a long list of names on the noticed board. I searched and finally saw my name just when I almost gave up hope. I returned home with the good news but it soon became bad news. “My daughter, it is a good thing that you want to go to university, but I cannot afford it now”, said my father. I wept like a hungry six months old baby and my mum or anything else really could not console.
My dad said what he wanted to say and I could do nothing about it than to devise a plan to go to school. I packed my bags and left home without a word to Lagos, the city of gold as I heard in movies while back in the village. I was determined to further my education with or without my dad’s support. 
In Lagos, I did all sorts of jobs ranging from waiting tables, being a sales girl to having a business centre for phone calls and was earning less than N 5000 a month. Since I am not that materialistic, I was able to save up enough money and got into a higher institution in Lagos as a part-time student.
At this time, my high school mates had already graduated and some were almost finishing. Although I was just starting when my colleagues were finishing, that did not deter me from enjoying school. It really didn’t matter to me that I was older than sixteen years old. I believe age is just a number and that shouldn’t determine what I do with my life. I don’t know your story and what would have prevented you from going to university at the ‘ideal’ age, but I am sure that university education has no age limit. So why not take advantage of that. If your parents cannot afford to pay for your studies, you definitely can help them out. I know it’s not easy and most people are often terrified by the thought of going through university without solid financial support.  
I can tell you confidently based on my personal experience that you can do it. All it takes is discipline. You can work and go to school but you have to be disciplined enough to avoid the temptation of materialism. Live within your means and bear in mind that there is time for everything and in that way you’ll be able to save your money rather than spend it on unnecessary things.  You may not be able to wear the latest cloths and have the latest gadgets, but time will come when you’ll be able to have it all. Suffer now with the bigger picture in mind and let that be your driving force. All the best with making that decision today because it is never too late.

Remain happy and spread happiness around.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life is about focus. As long as your eye in on the price, you will get it- Newyorker