Tuesday, June 24, 2014

I love Naija: The situation turns almost all of us to 'Professional beggars'


I wanted to write about this sooner but unfortunately, some other things came up because I am alive and that means so many things on my mind at all times. Hmmmm! So I arrived safely
at the Murtala Muhammed international airport and like you all know, it was a welcome to Naija in grand style.
My first welcome was from the immigration guy (me and immigration sha!) who asked me about what I brought for him. I found that quite funny because for one; dude, I don’t even know you so how could I have brought something for you now? As I sharp Naija babe, I understood where he was headed and simply smiled saying “sir I had a really long journey and I am very tired”. Or what could I have done? I wasn’t even willing to give him anything because he is being paid to be there so why should I pay him again for doing his job.
The second welcome was at the trolley point. All I heard was ‘ma, do you need assistance?’ I would have said yes because of my experience in South Africa where airport porters don’t give you a price but simply accept whatever you give them. However, as the ‘yes’ was about to exit my mouth, I took it back because I realized I was in Naija and I wasn’t ready to deal with any drama like the one my friends and I dealt with sometime ago, so I politely declined.
Lastly, I smiled through customs again then got outside for the shuttle. I don’t know how many of you know this, but there is some construction work going on at the airport and the car park has been relocated as a result of this. I was told I needed a shuttle to get there but never told it was a free shuttle, so I approached the guys I saw outside. They told me the shuttle would cost 5k and you can only imagine the shocking look on my face when I heard that. I definitely didn’t have enough cash on me and negotiated to 3k but he rejected it. To my greatest surprise, a guy among them told me there was a free shuttle only 2 minutes away and saved me from my begging (he ended up in big trouble though for ruining business). There are still good guys around in Naija, I thought to myself and appreciated him.
Seriously though, why do people assume that anyone coming back home should have money to waste? I simply don’t understand this ideology. Don’t they know that money is as hard to find out there as it is in Nigeria? If not even more difficult. Where do they get this idea from? Do the travelers give them the idea or do they just conceive it on their own? Or maybe the Igbo (Anambra) boys do (lips sealed). I love Naija.
Remain happy and spread happiness around. xoxo      

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naija lol pls leave anambra boys out of dis

Anonymous said...

You are looking for anambra guyz trouble o. All the same you are correct friend. Even though i never pass Ghana. I understand

Unknown said...

Very correct my bdear friend. But the very last paragraph is not on.