Monday, June 23, 2014

Corruption in Nigeria: are the Citizens as guilty as the government?


I went to the Nigerian immigration office today to renew my passport and here is a brief story of what happened. I got to the gate, and while passing through the security point, I was asked of the reason for my visit and I stated the reason.
The next question that followed was if I had someone inside. I really didn't understand the question so I politely asked the security guy what that meant. He explained to me and my answer was surely a no. He offered to assist me and I gladly accepted the offer. After all, who wouldn't want an assistance.

Long story short, I am sure most of you can decode what happened afterwards. I was given two options, one: to go through the normal procedure which will take 2 - 3 weeks or the abnormal or back door which takes a day or two. Anyway, the back door sounded more interesting so I opted for that one as you guessed. I am a Nigerian and we never have time to wait.

After few hours, they came back with my file and I signed some things that required my signature. I was glad that the whole thing was moving so fast and smoothly. Few minutes later, it was given back the file and I went through it. While going through it, something caught my attention - the amount of money recorded was less than what I paid. The difference was twice as much and I couldn't help getting angry at myself for allowing myself to be lured into such a ridiculous transaction. I realized that I had just encouraged corruption but I justified it by saying I didn't have 2-3 weeks to go through the normal procedure - just like the gentleman that sat beside me said earlier.

It is so easy for us to blow our trumpets and complain about how corrupt Nigeria is but we do nothing about the situation. Can you imagine what would happen if everyone who went to the immigration office went through the normal procedure? Or if we refused to accept any back door offer from organizations who offer public services? We would actually be discouraging and reducing corruption in our own little way. I think it's time to stop the 'blame game' and take some responsibility. I know it is difficult because the immigration service actually does everything possible to disallow any normal procedure but we can try.

I have decided as an individual that I will never allow myself to be that person again. I really don't mind waiting and going through the normal procedure no matter what it takes. We are all guilty of the corruption in Nigeria - not just the government. It is a two-way thing. If no one goes through the back door, it will surely be closed and the front door will actually be kept widely open. Together we can make a difference in Nigeria by using the front door.
Enough said biko. Don't forget to remain happy and spread happiness around. Xoxo


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like your opine and in all honesty Nigerians are a funny bunch. On your not allowing yourself to be that person point, that may affect your getting stuff done and believe you might wait for months. You can ask people who felt and said same, Nigeria is a case that needs review before change can happen. People do stuff for what to get in return, a similar thing happened in Ekiti where people voted an alleged corrupt individual into office for a 5kg rice.