Saturday, June 21, 2014

He was a true gentleman but I am not emotionally ready

My sincere apologies to all you my dear readers for the long silence, I have been trying to settle down and though I am not fully settled, I just could not wait to share this interesting story with you all. It is true that as women, we tend to be so protective of ourselves that we are often afraid to give a great guy a chance. If you've ever been there, you are not alone. I hope you enjoy reading this piece and give it a second thought...

It was the way he looked at me, his eyes couldn’t stop stealing glances at me at every opportunity that he had. I noticed it but pretended like I didn’t and concentrated on the book I was reading or pretending to read. You cannot blame me; I am only a lady and what can I do than to keep being a lady. We played ‘the stealing glances’ game for a while until I fell asleep. Yes I was tired and it was going to be a long flight from the South to the West so I had to sleep.


However, something woke me up - it must have been cupid. I woke up just in time as he was returning to his seat. He finally summoned up the courage and broke the silence by saying “hi, what are you reading?” just the words I needed. I blushed like a fifteen year old that had just met her first crush. Then I replied “it’s Age of Iron by JM Coetzee”. “Oh can I have a look?” he said. I was glad to give him the book even though I knew deep inside me that he wasn’t interested in it as much as he was interested in me. Anyway, we talked about books and everything else. At least he was able to catch my attention with the right ice breaker unlike other shallow minded people who will ask silly questions and bore my life out and make my journey even longer and tedious.

He was a true gentleman with class and elegance and I couldn’t help liking him as our conversation progressed. I hadn’t had such an intelligent conversation with an Igbo man in a while and it felt quite good. But as I sat there on that flight, a million things ran through my mind. I was concerned about it being too good to be true and was so afraid of getting myself involved with him because the situation is complicated. I don’t feel like I am emotionally ready for anything because I am so afraid of getting hurt in the end. Sounds familiar?

What do you do in such a situation where you allow your fear of the unknown deprive you of a moment of happiness? As a woman that must have been hurt before, you protect yourself from being hurt and it is alright to do that. However, too much of it is wrong because you tend to miss out on the opportunity of a life time. If you are looking to date someone, I think giving the person an opportunity while protecting yourself as well isn’t a bad idea. You can actually give yourself the opportunity to meet someone and be open-minded as well.  So maybe I will give that great guy a chance and use my head and not just my heart, in that way, I can still be protected from any harm that may result from my decision.
Yeah I had a great flight and it’s good to be home. Remain happy and spread happiness around. xoxo

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish i know this perfect gentle man.I will tell him to act fast and furious. Very good and inteligent read.

Unknown said...

I also know that we have a load of inteligent and interesting Anambrarians whom are very gentle to the feminine world as well as the world in general.
Guys from the South Eastern/South southern part of Nigeria (Ndi Igbo) to be precise are good people and also Very industrous minded people.

Anonymous said...

I think I also made trhe mistake of telling some1 dat I really do miss her after a short while. But sincerely I was really missing her. Does dat make me a very deceitful person????