Friday, February 6, 2015

Embrace Growth: Your Story is just One in Many Stories

A few days ago, I was blessed to be in the company of great young African leaders. I also got to know the story behind their drive for change in their lives and that of their communities. These are young people who have gone against all odds to emerge as leaders in their various capacities and categories. I would love to retell the stories but I can’t do that unfortunately. The moral of the story is that they embraced change. Life has taught me that there is really nothing bigger than me and listening to other people’s stories simply reemphasized that for me.


I grew up in a country where you basically have to fend for yourself as a working class child; a country where the government is indifferent about the condition of the citizens. As a Nigerian child, you learn from an early age how to take care of yourself because you are reminded constantly of how alone you are. You are also reminded that nothing will get handed to you on a platter of gold; hence, you have to work hard for anything you want. With all these in mind, I longed for change and that’s all I still live for. I haven’t gotten to where I want to be yet, but I am glad that I have moved from a certain level to another and I am still developing myself as an individual. This is just a line from my story. On a very good day when I publish my book, you’ll get to read more. I always thought that I had a heavy weight on my shoulder but you never know how light your weight is until you hear other people’s stories.

There are many young people in Africa who have different stories and yours is just one in many of such stories. Just like me, they decided to rewrite their own story and refused to be defined by their circumstances or family background. You don’t get to choose your family but you can choose to move and change your life. I get really irritated when I hear people use their circumstance as an excuse for their continued state of no movement or growth. Being alive is enough to motivate you to want something different for yourself. You think you have a story and a very heavy burden without any form of hope? Ask someone around you for his story then email me about the outcome please. You alone have the power to change your life.

Always remember, that nothing is bigger than you and yours is just one of many stories that exists. Anyway, please remain happy and spread happiness around. Xoxo


 

No comments: