Thursday, December 18, 2014

"I couldn't believe my eyes"; hard work does get rewarded [UPDATE]

 
A few months ago, I shared an incredible news with y’all that changed my life and in it I left a part out (read it here). Oh well, I always keep my promises so today I am going to complete the whole story. The past few years have been a turning point in my life. My main focus has been my academics and I am satisfied with how much effort I put into making the best out of it. My life has taught me that hard work always get rewarded no matter how long it takes.

In the previous post, I mentioned an email I received. One of which read, “Dear Ms Umana, it is with great pleasure that I inform you that you have been awarded a Mellon Scholarship for the 2015 academic year”. Now that was just a tip of the iceberg. A few weeks later, I received another email confirming me as a Mandela Rhodes Scholar! Who says hard work doesn’t get rewarded? Don’t be deceived because they are only setting you up for failure.


I strongly believe that dreams always come true. You need to be totally convinced about who you are and what you want. When it is your time, it’s your time and nothing can stop you from being who you were set out to be. I have come so far in life that when I look back, all I can say is “thank you Jehovah, God of Happy”. I can proudly say that there is no one who sees my academic transcript and will not want to meet me in person. I couldn’t have done it any other way and at any other time. Yes I missed out on frivolities but I have no regrets. I am extremely passionate about formal education and self-development. What better platform than the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship to mold me into a great African leader!

I am going to end off by saying to all you dreamers out there; don’t let anyone tell you anything different because dreams do come true. Your passion may not be formal education. However, Success has just one formula- hard work. Just hold on to that dream and keep working to actualize it because when you least expect it, it will come true. Be careful about your motivation though. When you make financial benefits your motivation, you easily lose interest if the money refuses to come. Let the financial benefit be a plus. As for me, the scholarship for my post graduate studies is just a plus. Never stop believing. I can’t wait for the new chapter of my life as a Mandela Rhodes Scholar to begin!

Please remain happy and spread happiness around. Xoxo.  

No comments: