Monday, January 5, 2015

Don't be afraid of change: the Devil you know is not always better than the Angel you don't know



It’s incredible how we sometimes allow fear of the unknown to stop us from doing the things we should. Sometimes we find ourselves dealing with things we shouldn’t deal with. We know the right thing to do but we don’t do it simply because we are afraid of change.

Until recently, I was in that position. Everything else was going on well in my life except my love life. It was the only thing dark and sad. You know how you meet someone and you give him everything only to get nothing back in return? That’s what happened between my boyfriend and I. While I was busy working hard for a better life and our relationship, he was busy running after everything in skirt. I endured heartaches, emotional abuse, psychological abuse and so on just because of this thing called love.
Deep inside me I wanted to break free from that cage but I lacked the courage to do so. I was so afraid of what the future would be. I condemned all men on account of his actions. I stayed in a toxic relationship not because I was having a blast but because I was too afraid of change. “The next man would probably be worse than him so let me stay here”, I told myself. These few words guided my decisions.
I thought I was doing the right thing by staying but I have come to realise that I did myself more harm than good. The time and energy that I put into trying to make a relationship that was doomed for failure work would have been put to better use somewhere else. “The devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know”, is relative I must say. How do you know that the angel you don’t know is worse if you don’t actually get to know that angel? Change is always a good thing and it might be scary but it is sometimes necessary if life must continue. Are you desperate for change but lack the courage to embrace it? That old saying about the devil you know being better is not always true so go out there today and embrace change either with regards to your career or personal life. Please remain happy and spread happiness around. Xoxo  



Image: www.bougieblackgirl.com
 

No comments: