Friday, December 11, 2015

Someone please take me back to the days when eating was fun!!

 

I remember those days perfectly – the days when one could enjoy a nice meal without worrying about calories blah blah blah. Most of us who love food looked forward to meal times. I looked forward to the delicious and yummy afang soup and fufu, jollof rice and turkey, ekpang, rice and fish stew. I don’t even remember some of them anymore (yes it’s that bad).
What ever happened to those days? Oh those were happy days indeed! Days free of anxiety and stress. I miss those days - the days when being skinny was worrisome to you, your family and even strangers. Being skinny was definitely a sign of malnutrition. We took multi vitamins to help us eat. Now we take things to supress the appetite and make us forget food.
Oh I know what happened! MTV and social media happened to us! Thanks to them we all now wanna look like that model or celebrity we see in music videos without even considering our body structure. I read on twitter the other day that a lady in Ghana collapsed in the mall because she took waist training to another level by wearing four waist trainers at the same time. The question my friends and I asked was, “but why four?” we couldn’t understand it. It just goes to show how far some people are willing to go with this whole perfect body thingy. That’s just one in many extreme cases of this fitness craze. My friend Lil goes days without eating real food. How did we all get here? The media has constructed an ‘ideal’ notion of beauty in size 0 individuals and we have all accepted it without any questions.

I admitted to being obsessed with fitness in my previous post so before you say I am a hypocrite, I know I am guilty too. I don’t go days without eating like my friend though. But I think mine is worse. I check labels and count calories in everything I eat. I eat with so much effort and spend hours on exercises to get rid of the food. I work out twice a day, 7 days a week. I think that’s the only thing I am fully committed to and it’s a little weird. Anyway, at least mine is for health reasons and not for any bikini or summer bod so I guess it is okay. But if the bikini bod comes in the process, I’ll gladly accept it. Someone please kindly take me back to the days when eating was fun and being plus size okay! It is most definitely better than this body soreness. If you are trying to lose weight please do it responsibly and be patient. 
Stay happy beautiful people! Xoxo.



Image source: http://visofev.tumblr.com/
 

No comments: