Thursday, May 28, 2015

Love is a verb: "Don't just tell me you love me, show me"


Oh dear! I haven't written anything in a while and my apologies to all of you. It's been crazy out here. To all of you that sent me messages, thank you very much for your concerns. Yeah I know the blog has been so so and I promise I am working on improving it soon and I took all your suggestions into consideration. Anyway, love has been stressing me too and I have decided to write about it. Enjoy below and share your experiences...


Call me crazy but I want what I want and nothing can change that. I want a man who will love me more than his own life; a man who will need me so much that he won’t stand being away from me for one second; a man who will be unable to even conceive the thought of hurting me talk more of the action. A man who is willing to live his life for me and him. Yes that is the man I want and until then, I am happy as I am – single!

Love and relationship for me is a serious thing. I often think my idea of love is different from that of others but is obtainable. For me, love is everything else but lies and deceit. It is a verb and that means it must be accompanied by action. No please don’t tell me you love me alone, I wanna see it hun. It has to translate to actions. The action and the words must complement each other.


I really can’t stand it when people say “I love you” and are unable to even show it in very simple ways. So now here is the thing, I wanted to give love a chance but now I am having second thoughts. I met this great guy, yeah he is great as a person but not so great with love. Anyway, we’ve been talking for a while now and I must say he is smooth! He says “I love you” after every sentence and not that I don’t like that, but I just can’t seem to find a link between the words and his actions. It makes me wonder if he even knows the meaning of the word or he just thinks it goes well in a conversation.

Okay, let me explain what I mean. So he says, “Babe, I will call you soon”. I wait for the soon but it never arrives. Before you trivialize this and make excuses for him you need to hear this. While I am waiting for the soon to arrive, he is busy updating on social media. I finally hit him up to clear the air. Me: “babe, what’s up?” and he goes, “I am cool, just playing a game on my phone”. Now that’s a NO NO for me. How is a game more important that speaking to a person you claim to love? And please don’t say he didn’t have airtime, credit or call units because it was meant to be internet call and yes he had data.

This might sound trivial to you but for me it’s about principles. Love doesn’t do that! Love is considerate. Love is not selfish. Love should tell you that your partner’s time is also important. And if you couldn’t call, love should move you to let the person know. These little things matter to me because they tell me how you’ll behave in bigger situations (like cheating). Long story short, you need to back up your “I love you”s with actions bae and show me that you need me as much as you say you do. Finish and Klaar!

Please stay happy guys and spread happiness around

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is true that some people don't understand what love is. The guys might not be in love. He probably just likes the idea of love. And like you said, he likes how it sounds lol. Madam, thank God you said "want" and not "need".

Anonymous said...

Don't give up on love. Maybe he isn't the one. It's okay to give up on him.

Anonymous said...

I feel we all have different meaning to what love is or how we want to be loved. It could be how u want to be loved or what you expect from him is different from what he want. Communication is vital.. you need to sit down and talk to him, tell him how you want to be loved, ur expectations etc.. it could be his not the one for you and you would never know until you speak to him..#justsaying.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Young woman, get an Americana(lol). Hard to find a naija guy dat fits into dat category. Truth b told, those criteria are too much ( my hones opinion). And also make urself d kinda gal he is looking for since u want to mould him, it myt as well b vice versa. Yours truly Nipz

Happy Umana said...

Nipz, thanks for your comment. But I am sorry I refuse to believe that all naija guys don't know what love means. That doesn't mean that I have to settle for something that I don't feel comfortable with. My dear, love should be enjoyed and not endured. It's women like you that are encouraging these guys you know and we need to change our mentalities as women. Ladies, teach men to treat you right and stop settling just cus of some silly myth about men being scarce. KMFT